Back to School Reminder: Dirt is Good!

1st September, 2011 - Posted by - 9 Comments

As adults, it can be easy to forget the joy of getting dirty and muddy that we experienced during our own childhoods, but that is exactly what we need to do.

Think back — and remember the absolute delight that puddle jumping, making mud pies and digging in the dirt gave you.

Now hold on to that feeling.

Getting dirty is a right of childhood, and should be encouraged! It’s easy as parents or educators to forget that, and not want to make more clean-up work for ourselves. But letting kids be kids, and everything that goes with it, truly is worth the extra bit of effort on our parts.

So, the next time you catch yourself thinking, I really don’t want to have to clean up muddy foot prints – remember these three little words: Dirt is good!

This school year, why not celebrate Take it Outside Week, October 16-22?! It will give you a chance to celebrate the wonders of the natural world, while inspiring educators and caretakers to make outdoor play and learning an important part of children’s daily lives.

Click here for lots of ideas and activities to help you make Take it Outside Week a success!

I will be making mud pies if you need me.

Play on! ~ Bethe :-)

Bethe Almeras, MS, is the HSBS Education & Outreach Director. A long time educator and play advocate, she is passionate about outdoor play and connecting children with nature. In her free time Bethe writes a blog, The Grass Stain Guru, and can often be found playing outside and enjoying Mother Nature. She is particularly fond of  chatting with squirrels.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Puddle Jumper Alison

April 23rd, 2010 at 5:20 pm

Well, I guess I’ve never quite grown up. I absolutely know how much fun dirt and water are and I’m having marvelous fun creating a rain garden, watching the puddles form, and digging in the dirt and finding worms.

I totally agree, let kids play and get dirty. As a parent I’m not so keen on the cleanup, and I can’t imagine cleaning up after a group of kids, but kids need to be kids. They need to connect with nature and the Earth. We just need to find a way to make this work for the adults.

April 23rd, 2010 at 6:34 pm

Thanks for the reminder. My daughter loves splashing in the rare Arizona rain puddle and I always cringe thinking about the cleanup. Next time she sees a puddle I’ll let her have her fun!

April 24th, 2010 at 9:33 pm

Great video and a good reminder to not let our kids turn into the machines they are attached to inside the house.

Let them get dirty. There’s always soap and water.

Wendy Gabriel

April 25th, 2010 at 12:22 am

SO true! When I was little I loved the dirt, the rain, the puddles, the mud and all the fun we had when we played outdoors. As a grown-up it’s sometimes easy to forget those times. Thanks for the reminder!

April 27th, 2010 at 6:06 pm

In our house, it’s all about getting dirty. I’ve actually worked out a great system — help kids get wet & dirty playing to their heart’s content outside, then pass them on to dad for cleanup. Works like a charm in our house! :)

April 27th, 2010 at 7:30 pm

I am happy to see that dirt is popular in lots of households across the land. Help us spread the word! :-)

April 28th, 2010 at 1:35 am

This is so true. Here is an article about why playing in the dirt is good for their health Children should be allowed to play in the dirt, new research suggests

April 28th, 2010 at 1:37 am

Thanks for sharing the article, Anita! Viva dirt!

[...] Kable’s magical land of play and learning! As always, Jenny inspires. And you know how much I love dirt and mud… :-) [...]