14th October, 2011 - Posted by - 1 Comment
Definition: Sampling of articles and blog posts that caught our eye that will be of interest to Head Start, parent and early childhood education communities.
This week’s Friday 5:
- My friend Penny (@PennyWilson) gave an amazing TEDxEastEnd talk on play. It’s 14 minutes well worth your time.
- Kari (@activekidsclub) has some great thoughts and tips in her post, Gearing up for winter: No bad weather, only bad clothing.
- Looking for some fun ideas to do with the kiddos? Debi (@GoExploreNature) has you covered with, 10 Fall Garden Activities for Kids.
- The Atlantic gives us, All Work and No Play: Why Your Kids Are More Anxious, Depressed. We couldn’t agree more.
- And finally, from Psychology Today, Emotional Regulation in Children: Using the Body to Help the Brain.
I think that should keep everyone busy for awhile! I am so encouraged by how much work is going on around the globe to promote play as a vital part of the overall health and optimal development for children.
Did anything catch your eye this week?!
We would love to know about it — so please share it in the comments section.
Don’t forget to get outside and play this weekend. It’s good for the mind, body and spirit!
Play on! ~ Bethe
Blogger Bio: Bethe Almeras, MS, is the HSBS Education & Outreach Director. A long time educator and play advocate, she is passionate about outdoor play and connecting children with nature. In her free time Bethe writes a blog, The Grass Stain Guru, and can often be found playing outside. She is particularly fond of squirrels. And turtles. And sandpipers. And…photo credit: jumpinjimmyjava – iKIVA …. you can KIVA too